How can we achieve this?
Inner Leadership describes seven skills, competencies, or capabilities that work to build emotional engagement and inspiration, step by step:
- The first skill is our ability to remain calm in a crisis and remain connected with who we are and what matters most to us. This gets us through the storms. It also builds a stronger foundation that we can use to extend our leadership influence out into larger roles.
- When the world no longer works the way it used to it can be easy to misinterpret events. The second key skill is to make clear sense of any situation: by correcting our mistaken assumptions and spotting the new patterns that are emerging.
- The third step is to find more opportunities, even in a crisis. This widens our options, builds morale, and puts us back in control, all of which make us more likely to succeed.
- The fourth skill is about choosing the best way forward, even when all around is changing.
- The fifth competency comes from copying industry best practice at achieving results in highly unpredictable, even hostile environments.
- The sixth competency is the ability to describe your chosen way forward in a way that inspires you and other people to want to make it happen. Inspiration brings the ability to overcome or work around all obstacles.
- The seventh skill is the ability to maintain and build that emotional engagement as you work to make your chosen vision a reality.
These are the seven skills of Inner Leadership. In seven chapters, the book provides tools and frameworks that enable you to build, develop, and improve your abilities at every one.
Adapted from Inner Leadership: tools for building inspiration in times of change.
You can sign up to daily posts here.