How can we achieve this?
Inner Leadership describes seven skills, competencies, and capabilities that work together, step by step, to build emotional engagement and inspiration:
- The first skill is our ability to remain calm in a crisis. This gets us through the storms. It also builds a stronger foundation that extends and expands our leadership influence into larger roles and impacts.
- When the world no longer works the way it used to it can be easy to misinterpret events. The second key skill is to make clear sense of any situation. We do this by correcting the mistaken assumptions we can all too easily make and by learning new ways to spot what is really going on.
- The third step is to find more opportunities, even in a crisis. Learning to do this expands our range of options, builds morale, puts us back in control. It makes us more likely to succeed, even in a time of change.
- The fourth skill lies in choosing the best option to move forward. In a world of accelerating change all ways forward will be difficult. We need to learn new ways of ranking and prioritising our options.
- Special forces operating behind enemy lines know that no plan survives first contact with the enemy. Despite these highly unpredictable and even hostile circumstances they are experts at achieving the results they want. The fifth competency comes from copying the two key factors that enable them to do this.
- The sixth competency is the ability to describe your chosen way forward in a way that inspires you and other people to want to make it happen.
- The seventh and final skill is the ability to manage the emotional and psychological transitions that people will go through as you work to make your vision a reality, in a way that builds even stronger emotional engagement to make your vision happen.
These are the seven skills of Inner Leadership. The book describes them across seven chapters, providing tools and frameworks for building and improving your abilities at each one.
Adapted from The Churning, Inner Leadership. Buy the Book