Measurement is an important part of every leader’s life, both for defining our objectives and for calculating our progress towards them.
Creating inspiration and emotional engagement is more difficult to measure than many other things — but you still need to know whether the tools of Inner Leadership are making a difference for you so the book includes a measurement system that you can use to track your progress.
The book provides more than 30 tools that help you build the seven skills or competencies of inner leadership. Carried out in the right order, these form a ladder or a staircase that enables you to climb from wherever you are now to become a more inspiring leader of yourself and other people:
At the lowest level, if some disaster has just happened, you might be experiencing extreme inner turmoil or churning. Here you can use the tools of Chapter 1 to increase your ability to quickly become ‘Centred’ and ‘Grounded’.
Next you make clearer sense of the situation you face and gain greater confidence about what is happening. Your inner emotional state shifts to being confident or ‘Sure’.
In Chapter 4 you choose the opportunity or direction that is best for you: you become ‘Directed’.
In Chapters 5 and 6 you consider your wider priorities and create an inspiring vision of the specific outcome you want to create. You use this to inspire yourself and other people to want to make your goal happen. Your emotional states here become ‘Determined’, then ‘Inspired’.
And in Chapter 7 you become ‘Ready’ to manage the emotional and psychological transitions that you and your stakeholders will go through as you implement your goal.
Each step on its own is small, simple, and straightforward. Combined in order, they become a transformational staircase that anyone can climb.
Measuring your abilities at the start and end of each chapter enables you to track your progress easily.
Why not do this now? How do you rate your current abilities at the following competencies (0-10):
- Stay calm in a crisis: Centre and Ground, and connect with your best self at all times
- Make clear emotional sense of any situation: become Sure
- Find the ten types of opportunity in any situation: become Optimistic
- Choose the way best forward for you: give yourself a Direction to move in
- Compare this with your purpose and values: become Determined
- Turn your chosen way forward into an inspiring vision: become Inspired
- Maintain the emotional engagement of yourself and your stakeholders as you move forward: be fully Ready for implementation
Adapted from Inner Leadership: tools for building inspiration in times of change.
You can sign up to daily posts here.