Measurement is an important part of every leader’s life, both for defining our objectives and for calculating our progress towards them.
The type of leadership needed to create emotional engagement and inspiration is more difficult to measure than many other things. But you still need to know whether the tools of Inner Leadership are making a difference for you. So the book includes a measurement system that you can use to track your progress.
The book defines seven sets of skills or competencies. Carried out in the right order, these abilities form a ladder or staircase that enables you to climb from wherever you are now to become ready to implement an inspiring vision of whatever you want to build instead.
At the lowest level, if some disaster has just happened, you might be experiencing extreme inner turmoil or ‘Churning’. Here you can use the tools of Chapter 1 to increase your ability to become ‘Centred’ and ‘Grounded’.
Next you make clearer sense of the situation and gain greater confidence about what is happening. Your inner emotional state shifts to being confident or ‘Sure’.
In Chapter 3 you realise that every challenge is an opportunity and you identify a wider range of opportunities to choose from. This makes you ‘Optimistic’.
In Chapter 4 you choose the opportunity or direction suits you best: you become ‘Directed’.
In Chapters 5 and 6 you remind yourself of your wider priorities and create an inspiring vision of the specific outcome you want to create. You can use this to inspire yourself and other people to want to make your goal happen. Your emotional states here become ‘Determined’, then ‘Inspired’.
And in Chapter 7 you become ‘Ready’ to manage the emotional and psychological transitions that you and your stakeholders will encounter as you move forward through implementation.
Each step on its own is small, simple, and straightforward. Combined in order, they become a transformational staircase that anyone can climb.
Different readers will come to the book with some skills already in place and strengths and weaknesses in different areas. The book provides:
- Practical tools that anyone can use to improve their current levels of performance in every area
- A structure that arranges the skills in order and so empowers you to climb the whole staircase more quickly.
Measuring your abilities at the start and end of each chapter enables you to track your progress easily.
You might like to do this now. How would you rate your current abilities (0-10) to:
- Stay calm in a crisis: Centre and Ground, connecting with your best self at all times
- Make clear emotional sense of any situation: become Sure
- Find the ten types of opportunity in any situation: become Optimistic
- Choose the one that is best for you: give yourself a Direction to move in
- Compare this against your purpose and values: become Determined
- Turn your chosen way forward into an inspiring vision: become Inspired, and
- Manage the emotional transitions of yourself and your stakeholders: be fully Ready for implementation
Adapted from Inner Leadership: tools for building inspiration in times of change.
You can sign up to daily posts here.